Adding Certification Area
Paraprofessional CareerDevelopment Program path to Teacher
Since 2009, the Urban Teacher Preparation Academy has prepared 93 traditionally certified teacher candidates for work in the high needs schools of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Currently the consortium draws teacher candidates from four member universities: University of Central Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, and Mid-American Christian University.
UTPA has three central guiding principles:
- Enhance the preparation of pre-service teachers to better serve the diverse needs of students in high need schools in urban environments;
- Provide a richer, expanded set of clinical experiences for pre-service teachers; and
- Provide induction support for new teachers in their first three years of employment with OKCPS.
Programming in the UTPA focuses on 2 outcomes for academy members:
- Embrace diversity and become practitioners of culturally responsive pedagogy.
- Develop strong teacher leaders who become agents of change within the OKCPS school community.
Benefits to participants include:
- 16 Week student teaching experience in a specially selected OKCPS classroom
- Professional development and mentoring
- Three years of ongoing support during early career work
- Tuition waiver and scholarship opportunities
- Financial stipends from the OKCPS Foundation for each active semester in the program.
For more information on how you may become a teacher participant or serve as a mentor teacher in the UTPA program, please email Anne Swan at email@example.com.