Title I services in the Oklahoma City Public Schools are made possible by federal funding that is set aside to states under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). The purpose of this law is to improve educational opportunities in schools with high concentrations of poverty.
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) was signed by President Obama on December 10, 2015. This measure reauthorizes the nations's national education law and longstanding commitment to equal opportunity for all students. The new law builds on key areas of progress, including;
- Advancing equity to disadvantaged and high-need students.
- Requires that all students be taught to high academic standards.
- Ensures that vital information is provides to educators, families, students, and communities through statewide assessments.
- Helps to support and grow local innovations,
- Sustains and expands historic investments in increasing access to high-quality preschool.
- Maintains an expectation that there will be accountability and action to effect positive change in the lowest-performing schools, where groups of students are not making progress, and where graduation rates are low over extended periodss of time.