Special Education Boot Camp
Oklahoma City Public Schools Special Education will be hosting a Special Education Boot Camp, approved by the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
The Non-Traditional Route to Certification, also known as Boot Camp is a pathway that prepares candidates with the knowledge and skills necessary to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a Special Education teacher throughout the state of Oklahoma.
This program allows applicants to receive a non-traditional special education teacher certification. Candidates then complete a training course, including 6 Saturdays of training with OKCPS Special Education staff, and a 30-hour practicum.
Requirements to apply are:
- Have earned any four-year degree from an Institution of Higher Education holding Regional Accreditation;
- Have a grade point average of 2.75 or higher from a previous degree program;
- Can pass a National Background check;
- Have a recommendation from a representative at a school district or Higher Ed;
- Commit to complete a master's degree or certification in special education (The OKCPS Sped department will reimburse for the master's program if they remain with OKCPS for at least 3 years)
TENTATIVE Training dates for Fall 2020 are (8:00a-3:30p):
- August 15
- August 22
- August 29
- September 5
- September 12
Special Education Teachers hired into OKCPS for the 2020-21 School Year may qualify for a $1,500 stipend, as well as positions as a "Teacher Intern" to earn paid, hands-on experience while completing the training program!
Deadline to apply is July 24, 2020!