Belle Isle Families,
Many of you have heard by now that changes have been proposed for Belle Isle Enterprise Middle School as part of the Oklahoma City Public Schools’ Pathways to Greatness process. The purpose of this communication is to share what we know, what questions we still have and let you know there are important upcoming opportunities to ask questions and provide input.
OKCPS has been moving forward on the Pathways to Greatness process for the last year. The highest priority is serving students equitably and ensuring access to more educational opportunities and support services for all students. We believe this work will enable all OKCPS students to achieve the vision of every student graduating ready to fulfill their unique purpose in a healthy, vibrant community.
Superintendent Sean McDaniel laid out three potential paths. He has advised me Belle Isle is among the schools that will experiences changes beginning in fall 2019 regardless of the final path selected, and I’m excited to share with you what I know about the proposed changes. The changes include:
- The addition of 5th grade so that Belle Isle would serve 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grades beginning in fall 2019.
- Belle Isle’s 5th and 6th grades (beginning in fall 2019) would be located/relocated at the building currently occupied by West Nichols Hills Elementary, 8400 Greystone Ave. in Oklahoma City.
- Belle Isle’s 7th and 8th grade students would remain at the current middle school on Villa.
- Belle Isle will be one school operating at two campuses.
- The addition of 5th grade and expansion to a second building will over time allow Belle Isle to serve nearly double the number of students.
- Belle Isle will remain an enterprise school with an application process for admission.
Principals learned of the proposed changes at a meeting late Tuesday afternoon so we still have many questions. Please be assured we are seeking answers and will keep you updated as we learn more. Some of the key questions that remain:
- How many students will be added at each grade and the timeline for adding students.
- The establishment of an application process and application timeline for incoming 5th grade students.
- Whether the 6th grade application period will require an extension.
- Staffing (teachers, staff and administrators) and program adjustments needed to support the addition of students and expansion to an additional campus.
- Whether additional transportation will be available for Belle Isle families.
Below is a timeline of the district process moving forward. Beginning tonight, OKCPS is hosting a series of community meetings to provide details and hear input. I urge you to consider attending a meeting to ask any questions you have and share your concerns. Superintendent McDaniel has committed to stay at each meeting until all questions are answered.
- Jan. 23: 6 p.m. US Grant High School
- Jan. 24: 6 p.m. US Grant High School (presented in Spanish)
- Jan. 28: 6 p.m. Star Spencer High School
- Jan. 29: 6 p.m. Douglass High School
- Jan. 30: 6 p.m. NW Classen High School
Superintendent McDaniel presents the final recommendation to the board
- Feb. 19 school board meeting
Information sessions on the final pathway recommendation
- Feb. 20-28
Board vote on final plan
- March 4
I know this is a time of confusion, but I am excited Belle Isle will have the opportunity to serve even more Oklahoma City children. As we have more information to share, be assured we will communicate that to you. Extensive information about the recommendations are available on the school district’s website: https://www.okcps.org/Page/3745.