OKCPS Board of Education Approves Application Process for District 7 Board Seat
(Oklahoma City, OK - September 28, 2019) Today, during a special meeting, the Oklahoma City Public Schools (OKCPS) Board of Education voted to approve the procedure and timeline below to appoint an individual to fill the OKCPS District 7 Board Seat. Jace Kirk, who currently serves as the District 7 Board Member, announced his resignation on September 9, 2019. His seat will become vacant effective October 9, 2019.
The person appointed to fill the District 7 Board Seat vacancy shall serve until the 2021 school board election. Then, the individual who wins the 2021 school board election shall serve the remaining year of the current, unexpired term of the District 7 seat (ending in February 2022).
The process and requirements for submitting applications and the timeline for the Board of Education to select an appointee will become available on the OKCPS website (www.okcps.org) on October 1, 2019. When published, OKCPS will share this information with media partners and through the District's social media channels.
The timeline for the OKCPS Board of Education to accept applications, review, and select an appointee for the District 7 Board Seat will be as follows:
- October 1, 2019: Beginning of the Period for Submitting Resumes and Applications / Declaration of Candidacy Forms. Detailed information on submitting an application will be posted on the OKCPS Website.
- November 1, 2019: End of the Period/Last Day for Submitting Resumes and Applications / Declaration of Candidacy Forms. Questions should be addressed to Craig Cates, (405) 587-0444, email@example.com
- November 4, 2019: During the Executive Session of the regular Board meeting on this date, the OKCPS Board will review all the resumes and applications which were complete and submitted by the November 1 deadline (unless the Board, at its discretion, selects another date to hold a special meeting for that purpose, in accordance with the Open Meetings Act).
- November 5, 2019: The names and Declaration of Candidacy forms for all individuals who filed within the application period to be considered for appointment to the District 7 Seat will be released to the public.
- December 8, 2019: No later than this date, the OKCPS Board will interview applicants and appoint an individual to fill the vacancy during a special board meeting called for this purpose. Appointment for the open seat shall take place no later than December 8, 2019.
OKCPS encourages all interested parties who live within the District 7 boundaries to consider applying for this important seat to support the advancement of public education. District 7 represents the following schools; Bodine Elementary, Cesar Chavez Elementary, Hayes Elementary, Lee Elementary, Southern Hills Elementary, Southeast Middle School, Webster Middle School, Capitol Hill High School and Southeast High School.