Principal: Paula Pluess
School/Building Hours: 7:45am- 3:10pm
Serves students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 6th.
School Mascot: Panthers
Established in 1956
School Named for: President Franklin Pierce
What's In a Name:
Franklin Pierce (1804-1869), the son of a onetime governor of New Hampshire, entered politics at a young age. He served as speaker of the state legislature before winning election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1833. After two terms in the House and one in the Senate, Pierce returned to practicing law, only to emerge in 1852 as the Democratic presidential candidate. During Pierce’s administration (1853-1857), settlement was encouraged in the northwest region of the country, even as sectional tensions increased over the issue of slavery and its extension into new territories. The Kansas-Nebraska Act, which Pierce signed in 1854, enraged antislavery northerners and brought about the emergence of the new Republican Party. Pierce’s inability to handle the upheaval in Kansas led to repudiation by many Democrats, who denied him the party’s nomination in 1856.
Pierce Elementary School Creed:
Pierce Panthers are smart and strong.
We work together to get along.
You are a panther and so am I,
All we have to do is try!
I do our best, I will succeed,
There is no limit to what I can achieve.
Helping other is what we do.
Success is sweet for me and you.
I am a panther and I and proud
I accept the challenge of the whole around
A life long learner i will become
Responsibility makes me one.
I use my manner I and polite
I earn respect from you that's right,
Stand up panthers strong and proud
Let's set the pece and win the race
Other School Facts:
- Located in Board District 3
- US Congressional District 5
- State Senate District 45
- State House District 90
- County Commissioner District 2
- City County Ward OKC 3
Pierce Elementary School Goals
Our staff has studied our student performance data to decide on the most important areas of improvement for our school and have collaboratively worked together to develop goals which will guide the decisions we make. Our goals are:
- Pierce Elementary students will read at or above grade-level before being promoted. Students that are receiving specialized reading interventions will meet the yearly goals that are clearly stated in their Individual Educational Plan. Student reading levels will be determined by analyzing all available data including, but not limited to: Easy/CBM, District Benchmarks, State Assessments (CRT or CCSS), and anecdotal observations.
- By May 2018, 80% of Pierce Elementary Students will score proficient on Oklahoma Academic Standards Assessments. We will ensure students participate in daily instruction of an integrated curriculum (Reading, Mathematics, Science, History, Writing, and Technology) that includes engaging, cooperative activities that will increase their problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills so that they are able to clearly express their thought process in writing (using a computer) and verbally.
As a staff, we recognize that key components to meeting our goals include student and staff attendance and strong parental support. Therefore, additional goals for the 2015-2016 school year include:
- Increasing opportunities for parents to visit and/or volunteer at school (at least once per month)
- Increasing student attendance to 97%
- Increasing staff attendance to 90%
Pierce Elementary students can succeed in school and reach for the stars by:
- Being at school on time everyday!
- Paying attention to teachers!
- Being on your best behavior!