July 11, 2022 Message from McDaniel | OKCPS Bond Planning Update
July 11, 2022
OKCPS Families, Staff & Community,
Today, I gave a presentation and led a discussion with the Board on the recommendations for the 2022 bond process. The Board took action to authorize the District Administration to proceed with our bond planning process.
Additionally, this was the first time we publicly shared a list of transformational projects that have been recommended to the Board by the Bond Planning and Oversight Committee (BPOC) and District Administration. The projects listed below are not final until the Board votes to approve them in the next steps of the bond planning process. However, in the spirit of transparency, I wanted to share this list with you. More details will be shared regarding all bond related projects in the near future.
Transformational Project List (Recommended)
Capitol Hill High School Feeder Pattern
- New Capitol Hill High School
- New Middle School - Combining Capitol Hill & Wheeler
Douglass High School Feeder Pattern
- Douglass High School Flexible Space Addition
- FD Moon Middle School Gym & Locker Room Renovation
John Marshall Enterprise High School Feeder Pattern
- John Marshall Enterprise Middle School Multi-Building Renovation
- John Marshall Enterprise High School Flexible Space Addition
- Regional Stadium Addition
NW Classen High School Feeder Pattern
- New Middle School - Combing Taft & Taft-Linwood (5th - 8th)
- NW Classen High School Flexible Space Addition
Star Spencer High School Feeder Pattern
- Star Spencer High School Gymnasium Addition
- Star Spencer High School Flexible Space Addition
- Star Spencer High School Entrance & Administration Remodel
US Grant High School Feeder Pattern
- US Grant High School Flexible Space Addition
- US Grant High School Cafeteria Expansion & Outdoor Eating Area
- Jefferson Middle School Competitive Gym Addition
- New Belle Isle Enterprise High School (9th - 12th)
- Classen SAS Middle School Auditorium Renovation
- Southeast High School Auditorium Renovation
- Southeast High School Aviation Program Space Renovation
District Administration will work with each school and school community to establish programming for their flexible learning space. Below are examples of possible programming options.
- College and Career
- Vo-Ag (FFA & 4H)
- Aerospace / Aviation
- Trades - Workforce Development
- Film Production & Studio Arts
- STEAM / Innovation Space
- Visual & Performing Arts
*The earliest a brand new school would open and welcome students would be for the 2026-2027 school year.
The next steps include a resolution for a bond authorization, for the Board to publicly call for an election and set an election date.
In addition to the projects listed above, OKCPS is planning several other large construction projects that include classrooms and other learning space additions. More details will be shared regarding all bond related projects in the near future. Please keep in mind that this information is just a snapshot of the full bond planning package.
This is an exciting time for the district and I look forward to continuing our transformational work together to elevate the educational experience for all OKCPS students.
Dr. Sean McDaniel