Outline for a Book Review
- The book’s title and author
- A brief summary of the plot that doesn’t give away too much
- Comments on the book’s strengths and weaknesses
- The reviewer’s personal response to the book with specific examples to support praise or criticism
Questions to ask yourself as you are writing
- Does the book fit into a genre, like mystery or romance, and why?
- When and where does the action in the book take place? Does the author do a good job of making you feel like you are there? How?
- Are the main characters believable? Do you know anyone like them? Does the author adequately describe them?
- What do you like or dislike about the author’s writing style? That is, do you like the way the author uses words?
- Use concrete examples to back up your points, such as describing a scene that really moved you or using a couple of short quotes from the book.
- Don’t forget to include your opinion of the book, whether you liked or disliked it.